The University of Southern Queensland Council is the University’s governing body. The Council , led by the Chancellor, sets the strategic direction of the University and is empowered under the University of Southern Queensland Act 1998 to do anything necessary or convenient in connection with its functions including specifically:
- Appointment of staff
- Management and control of the University’s affairs and property
- Management and control of the University’s finances.
The Council's primary responsibilities are set out in its Charter (PDF* 82KB).
Council may delegate its responsibilities to an appropriately qualified member of the University’s staff, a member of University Council, or to a qualified Committee. The power to make statutes or rules, or to approve the University’s budget may not be delegated. In addition, there are restrictions on Council’s ability to delegate approval of spending of special funding through bequests or donations.
Statutes, Policies and Guidelines – Council and Committees
- Guidelines on Nominations and Skills Audit Processes (for Council and Committee Members) (PDF* 198KB)
- Guidelines for the Conduct of Meetings of Council and Committees (PDF* 212KB)
- (Conduct of Council Elections) Statute 2010 (PDF* 93KB)
- (Fees) Statute 2010 (PDF* 85KB)
- (Making and Notifying University Rules) Statute 2009 (PDF* 78KB)
The membership of the USQ Council includes:
- Chancellor (ex officio)
- Vice-Chancellor (ex officio)
- Chair, Academic Board (ex officio)
- five members appointed by the Governor-in-Council
- up to three additional members appointed by the Council, at least one of whom must be a graduate of the University
- one member of the academic staff of the University elected by and from members of the academic staff
- one member of the professional staff of the University elected by and from members of the professional staff
- one student member elected by and from the enrolled students of the University, other than students who are members of the University staff.
Committees of USQ Council
USQ Council is assisted in its operations by the following committees:
- Academic Board (PDF* 119KB)
- Chancellor's Committee (PDF* 92KB)
- Remuneration Sub-Committee (PDF* 89KB)
- Honorary Awards Committee (PDF* 172KB)
- Audit and Risk Committee (PDF* 97KB)
- Finance and Facilities Committee (PDF* 93KB)
USQ Council meets every 8 weeks at specific dates and times as outlined in the University meeting schedule.
*This file is Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe. Users who are unable to access information in PDF format should contact the University Secretary to obtain this information in an alternative format.