Skip to main content


HECS-HELP is a loan that enables eligible students in Commonwealth supported places to defer payment of their student contribution until their income reaches a certain level, and then begin to repay it via the Australian tax system.

Who is eligible for HECS-HELP?

You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you are a Commonwealth supported student and either:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.

Student contribution payments can only be accepted up to and including the census date for the semester.

New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents who are not humanitarian visa holders

Commencing students who are New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents who are not humanitarian visa holders, are considered domestic students and can still apply for a Commonwealth supported place. However they are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan and must pay their student contribution up front each semester.

From 1st January 2016 New Zealand citizens who hold a Special Category Visa and are resident in Australia may be eligible for HECS-Help if they meet certain eligibility criteria. Information on eligibility is available on the Study Assist website.

Applying for a loan

If you wish to apply for a HECS-HELP loan, you are required to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF), including your tax file number, prior to the census date of the semester you wish to start studying.

Further information

Further information about the HELP loans is available from the Study Assist website.