Students as Partners
Work is underway to implement the University's Students as Partners Strategy in partnership with USQ students and staff. The strategy builds a philosophy and culture based on engaging students as partners, creating safer communities, enhancing USQ frontline services, and proactive, data-driven, personalised student advising.
The seven guiding principles to student partnership are:
- Building authentic partnership
- Honest and transparent communication
- Strong student leadership
- Training and support for students
- Diversity and inclusivity in the student voice
- Recognition of formal and informal engagement
- A national presence for facilitation and support.
The Students as Partners website is currently under development and is anticipated to be ready by 15 October 2021.
For further information regarding the Students as Partners strategy in the meantime, please email email@example.com.
Student Success Advising
Building on early successes in 2020, Student Success Advising has developed through 2021 under the Academic Plan, implementing an integrated program of support for students that brings together specialist academic, personal, and administrative dimensions. Focusing on the first-year experience, a purposeful sequence of outreach, and offers of support, is now embedded into the first semester of study for all commencing students. This ensures school leavers and mature students alike can establish an early connection to their peers and support staff and are allowed to form appropriate expectations of study habits that promote success at the very beginning of their learning journey.
Student Success Advising initiatives in 2021 included:
- a coordinated effort between Course Examiners and Student Advisors within key discipline-specific pilot projects has applied Student Success Advising in first-year courses to influence increases in the rate of assessment submission successfully
- an integrated referral service to support examiners to connect students to academic skills and personal support services easily and efficiently
- customised coaching courses delivered to professional and academic staff in student-facing roles to promote coaching in the advising context and consistency in how students experience support services at the University.
For further information regarding Student Success Advising, please email SuccessAdvising@usq.edu.au.
Future Students Strategy
The Future Students Strategy (FSS) sets out the University of Southern Queensland’s (USQ) commitment to ongoing purposeful career-focused development with school students and the community in our region to build awareness of and create aspiration for university study and improve the attraction of students in recruitment into the University.
For further information regarding the Future Students Strategy, please email Margaret Power.