The focus on aged, dementia, palliative and end of life care is critical to the role of the nurse and health care providers in contemporary health care. Working with individuals, families and communities to advance aspects of care and workforce direction to positively make a difference to quality of care is integral at a time when our ageing population is expanding at extraordinary rates.
Our research area is linked explicitly with community and aims to make a difference to quality of care, improving knowledge, understanding and support for diverse communities through the process of ageing, palliative, and end-of-life care. Through collaborative connections with community, industry and academic collaborations we aim to:
- understand the experiences of people as they age in Australia
- inform best practice and digital inclusion in culturally safe research and strategies for ageing populations
- conduct and support research, program evaluation and education that promotes workforce engagement, career development and leadership in care settings for those with life limiting illness or ageing related co-morbidities
- conduct research to increase awareness, support and education in palliative and end of life care decision making inclusive of culture and spiritual care for ageing populations in Australia
- collaboratively work with policy development, education initiatives and professional governance authorities to inform best practice standards in palliative care, end of life, dementia and ageing.
- Dr Melissa Taylor (Theme lead)
- Dr Melissa Carey (Theme co-lead)
- Associate Professor Sonya Osborne
- Dr Jenny Carter
- Associate Professor Coralie Graham
- Ms Barbara Black
- Dr Sharon Rees
- Dr Natasha Reedy
- Ms Joanne Southern (PhD student)
Areas of inquiry
Residential and community aged care, primary care and primary health care, healthy ageing, palliative care, end of life care, dementia, carer engagement and integrated health care.
Core research programs
- Australia and New Zealand, Aged, Palliative and End of Life Care Research
- West Moreton Care at End of Life Collaborative
- Dementia and Health Literacy Collaboration (UQ, SCU, USQ, Bond University)
- Career transition and workforce readiness programs