Employee Assistance Program and eapdirect
USQ provides an employee assistance program for USQ and Student Guild employees and their families. This program has been developed by an external consultant, Benestar which provides a traditional counselling service (EAP) as well as a 24/7 online service called BeneHub. These services provide professional advice, counselling and referral services to assist with personal problems that may be affecting your health and/or job performance.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
What kind of assistance does the EAP provide?
Is it confidential?
How can I access these services?
When can I access these services?
Advisory service to assist managers
How can managers refer to staff to the EAP?
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides a free professional and confidential counselling service for all USQ and Student Guild employees and their immediate family members who are experiencing personal or work-related difficulties. The service can assist with any personal or work-related issues, including:
conflict and tension
pressure and stress
drug and alcohol problems
- relationship difficulties
grief and bereavement
health and lifestyle issues
anxiety and depression
work – family issues.
EAP focuses on early intervention and addressing minor issues before they develop into major ones. EAP is paid for by the University of Southern Queensland.
Access these services by contacting 1300 360 364.
BeneHub offers information and strategies to deal with life issues that we face on an everyday basis in our work and personal lives via a private and password accessed website. Log on to BeneHub to access information on:
- Life: different life stages, changes, grief and loss;
- Body: exercise, fitness, sleep, nutrition and healthy habits;
- Money: budgets, debt, saving and retirement planning;
- Relationships: work relationships, partner relationships and friendships;
- Work: from better work-life balance to enhancing performance;
- Family: parenting, elder care, family violence, extended and blended families;
- Mind: from managing stress to mental health
Instructions to login into Benestar:
- Visit Benestar
- Click on 'BeneHub Login' on the top right-hand side
- Under 'Not registered yet' enter the following details: Company identifier: USQ Token: USQ01
- Click on the green button 'Use Token'
- Under the heading 'BeneHub Register' enter:
Your email address and create a password
- You will then be directed to the home page.
The EAP offers short-term, solution focused counselling. The counselling discussion is informal, friendly and focussed on your needs. It can be either face to face or over the phone, whichever is more convenient for you.
Counselling can help you to:
clarify a problem
develop plans to approach difficult issues in a constructive manner.
After counselling, your EAP counsellor may suggest that other, further assistance may be useful. If you choose to take up a referral outside of the EAP, you are responsible for any costs. Where possible, referral is made to a service that is free, or within your capacity to pay.
All EAP consultations are confidential. Benestar will not disclose information about you without your written permission. In order to help address a situation within the workplace, you may authorise your counsellor to discuss the matter with your manager or another person nominated by you.
EAP appointments and enquiries Australia wide can be made by telephoning Benestar on 1300 360 364. Your manager or Human Resources may suggest the use of EAP but the decision to use the service is entirely voluntary.
You may use the EAP in your own time. In this case, no one will know. You may request, through your manager, to attend an appointment in work time. If approved you should agree on a suitable time with your manager before confirming a time with Benestar. It is not necessary to disclose the nature of the issue when requesting time to attend.
For times when individual circumstances require an immediate response, an emergency telephone service is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. On-call counsellors are available to respond as the situation requires.
MyCoach for People Leaders is an advisory service to assist managers to deal with a range of workplace situations. Managers can access the service via phone or video for advice on a range of issues such as:
- How to manage difficult employees;
- How to communicate effectively with their respective manager;
- Managing employees with performance issues;
- How to manage and support employees with personal issues impacting the workplace;
- How to manage behavioural issues in the workplace;
- How to identify and address employee risk in the workplace.
This service has a same-day response and provides recommendations and options so that the manager can decide on appropriate action, applying USQ policies.
How can managers refer staff to the EAP?
On occasion, managers may wish to suggest to a staff member that they may benefit from using the EAP. There may be some employees who are in need of help or who are not performing or coping with their work. Again, the decision to attend is entirely up to the employee.
For further information please contact the Senior Rehabilitation Officer.