To maxmise your research efforts and USQ strongly encourages you to publish in quality and high quality journals. Tools like SNIP and SJR help determine journal quality.
SNIP (Source Normalised Impact per Paper)
SNIP measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. A quality jounrla has a SNIP of 1 or greater while a high quality journal has a SNIP of 2 or greater.
It is difficult to judge journal quality using SNIP values alone, as citation potential varies not only between subject categories or disciplines but also between different "types" of journals within the same subject category.
SJR (SCImago Journal Ranking)
SJR (SCImago Journal Rank) is a prestige metric based on the idea that ‘all citations are not created equal’. With SJR, the subject field, quality and reputation of the journal has a direct effect on the value of a citation.
- is weighted by the prestige of the journal, thereby ‘leveling the playing field’ among journals
- eliminates manipulation: raise the SJR ranking by being published in more reputable journals
- ‘Shares’ a journal’s prestige equally over the total number of citations in that journal
- normalizes for differences in citation behavior between subject fields.
Many other lists of quality journals exist including:
- Excellence in Research for Australia journal list includes over 20,000 titles. Each title is assigned to one or more Field of Research (FoR) codes.
- Scopus Journal Analyzer covers over 16,000 journals from Scopus database. Includes SJR, SNIP, total citations, articles published and articles not cited.
- Australian Business Deans Council journal ratings list includes of 2600 titles. List is reviewed by a panel of discipline experts and includes alignment to FoR codes.
- European Reference Index for the Humanities covers core humanities disciplines. This index highlights a range of research published in the European languages and includes journals of national and international categories.
- Journal Quality List is a collation by Professor Anne Harzing of journal rankings from various sources including journals in economics, finance, accounting, management and marketing.
- SENSE Benchmarks for Publication Output ranks book publishers in categories of A,B, and C.