US(Q) with more news... tell a friend.
Starting the week with a (wild) weather report.
- Dr Chelsea Jarvis was featured in The Courier-Mail talking about the trifecta of climate events behind Queensland’s recent extreme weather (that is – and we quote – giant hail, dust storms and supercell thunderstorms).
Something to put you in the right frame of mind.
- Photography extraordinaire David Martinelli stood behind the lens (for once!) and was featured on 7News talking about his book launch and exhibition Connected: A Shared Experience.
Signalling the end of a golden era of television?
- Following the passing of television icon Bert Newton, Dr Daryl Sparkes spoke to ABC Southern Queensland about his lasting legacy and whether there will ever be another moon-faced legend of Australian showbiz.
Five stars for… us.
- We were recognised as a five-star institution in the Quacquarelli Symonds’ QS Stars Rating System and received top marks in the areas of teaching, research, internationalisation, online learning and employability. Stars in our eyes.
Rocket science, but not as you know it.
- Researchers Dr Jake Humpal and Dr Cheryl McCarthy were interviewed for a story on 7News about their research looking into growing food in space for astronauts. A true ‘Moon to Mars’ mission. Kind of like the scenes from ‘The Martian’ (Matt Damon, literally *eat* your heart out). In other very related news, the work was featured in ABC Digital (reaching a casual audience of approximately 22 million!) and also got a mention in Germany and the United Kingdom. Media goals.
Venus is falling from the sky.
- And Professor Jonti Horner talked all about it in our latest ‘Horner’s Space Corner’ segment. Turns out the downfall of Venus is imminent and our own shining star (Jonti, obviously) warned audiences to get outside this week and see what the planet of love and beauty has to offer before it is too late. Okay, that is enough drama for today (but, get outside).
Next week at a glance
- Getting into the spirit of National Recycling Week
- More from our relationship expert Dr Raquel Peel
- Marking Remembrance Day
Guess who is back... back again. US(Q) with more news... tell a friend.