The IRR’s core purpose is to build research and engagement to address social, economic, health, behavioural and cultural challenges facing regions across Australia. The IRR seeks to achieve its purpose by:
- training and mentoring future researchers
- challenging conventional assumptions that stifle resilience in regional communities
- increasing innovation and the adoption of technology that benefits regional communities
- pursuing research that address issues of priority and relevance to regional partners
- delivering high impact research that broadens and strengthens regional resilience.
Our vision and values
Our vision is to be the leading Australian research institute that addresses the needs of communities through regional research partnerships that develop and sustain diversified and adaptive economies, healthy communities, and strong diverse cultural identities that underpin a thriving regional Australia that is a desirable place to work and live.
Our core values:
- Respect and celebrate cultural diversity in regions, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and migrant cultures.
- Engage people in research in an inclusive and respectful way.
- Community collaboration and partnerships.
- Integrity, quality, innovation, and rigour in research.
- Impactful research outcomes for regions.
- Fair access to research and sharing of knowledge with communities and partners.