In 2019, USQ will offer one Heritage Bank Don Stevens Scholarship in Commerce
Don Stevens was General Manager at the Darling Downs Building Society before the merger with Toowoomba Permanent Building Society that created Heritage in 1981. After the merger, he served as Secretary and General Manager at Heritage in its early days. Mr Stevens was the Chancellor at USQ for 10 years (1996–2006). The scholarship honours the significant influence Mr Stevens had in senior management at both Heritage and USQ.
Heritage’s scholarship program at USQ continues a long association between the two organisations. It is one of many ways that Heritage supports the communities in which they operate. These scholarships enhance the opportunities for young people from the region to pursue academic excellence without having to move elsewhere. Scholarships are offered in four areas – Human Resources, Commerce, Information Technology and Marketing – reflecting key skills areas that Heritage is interested in developing.
Heritage scholarships not only give financial assistance to students, but also offer the chance to do work experience at Heritage. This provides both academic and real-world training for students, and enhances their life experience and their job-readiness. The scholarship program can identify potential future employees for Heritage however, in giving added incentives for students to choose USQ, Heritage is also supporting the prosperity of the community overall. USQ is a major contributor to the vitality and prosperity of the region. A vibrant USQ is good for the whole region, not only for the economic stimulus that the university provides, but in the contribution it makes to the skills and capacity of the region's workforce. It's just another way that Heritage puts People first.
The scholarship will have a maximum value of $4000.
The successful applicant may be offered professional work experience in the year of the award, at a time that is mutually arranged.
- be an Australian Citizen or have permanent resident status
- be continuing their studies in a Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Accounting, Business Administration, Business Economics, Business Law, Finance, General Commerce, International Business, Management & Leadership or Sustainable Business) in Semester 1 2019
- have a current Grade Point Average of at least 5.5
- have completed a minimum of 8 USQ study units
- be enrolled in a minimum of 3 study units in each of Semester 1 and Semester 2
- be studying on-campus, external or online.
- submit a personal statement (one page maximum) outlining:
- why you chose to study Business and Commerce at USQ
- your interest in contributing to the business community
- demonstrate a history of involvement in extracurricular activities or within your local community.
Short-listed applicants will be required to attend an interview
Applications close at 5pm Friday 26 October 2018.
University of Southern Queensland
Phone: 1800 269 500
USQ reserves the right to alter the conditions of the scholarship/bursary based upon exceptional circumstances. USQ reserves the right to not award the scholarship/bursary in a given year.