The University of Southern Queensland, through the Rural Economies Centre of Excellence (RECoE), is offering a three-year PhD scholarship to study key aspects of agricultural value chains in Queensland. The thesis topic will be developed with the supervisory team after enrolment is completed but the focus is expected to be on one or more of:
- Comparisons of the structure, operation and economic impacts of different value chains;
- Increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of value chains;
- Identifying the distribution of value along the chains;
- Identifying how improvements in the efficiency and effectiveness of value chains could benefit the chain actors and rural economies more generally; and
- Policies to support efficient and effective value chains.
The study must be based on agricultural production in Queensland, though the scope of the work can extend further as other aspects of the value chain are considered. In consultation with the supervisory team, the successful candidate will identify a selection of value chains for the study, but consideration will be given to extensive grazing and cropping industries and some horticultural value chains.