Doctor of Creative Arts
- CRICOS: 091551D
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 24 units
- 3 years or part-time equivalent
Make your mark in the Arts
USQ’s Doctor of Creative Arts is designed for established creative artists who have completed honours or masters qualifications and who can demonstrate their significant profile within the creative arts professions. This degree, which can be studied on-campus or online, gives you an extended opportunity to further develop your practice-focused research under the expert guidance of qualified supervisors.
Candidates for this degree will have a sophisticated understanding of creative arts theory and practice, as well as the capacity to produce original creative works at an international standard.
The Doctor of Creative Art at USQ offers supervision within the following disciplines:
- Creative Writing
- Film, Television and Radio
- Theatre, or
- Visual Arts.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- a Bachelor of Creative Arts with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division A) or equivalent OR
- a Masters of Arts (with research component) or equivalent, together with evidence of professional standing as an arts practitioner.
- Admission by written application and artist portfolio. The application will include a written proposal of 5-8 pages including conceptual framework and research background, central question, significance, and original contribution of project. Further, a portfolio of creative work/s will be required with specifications varying between disciplines. For example, for Visual Arts, candidates will be required to submit 20 images of past work, signifying possible directions for the proposed Doctor of Creative Arts.
- Submission of a satisfactory preliminary research proposal, as determined by the Higher Degrees Review and Admissions Committee.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
Applications may be submitted at any time, but it is ideal to allow a minimum of 20 working days between when you submit your application and the start of your requested semester.