Before you leave home
Moving to a new country to start your university studies can involve a lot of planning. Here’s some things you can do before you leave home.
1. Book your flight to Australia
Try to arrange your flight in time to attend USQ Orientation which is held at the beginning of each semester. The Important Dates calendar lists dates for Orientation and the start of semesters . If you miss a campus Orientation, you may be able to complete an online Orientation.
If you arrive after the semester start date, you will require written approval from the University to commence your studies or you may need to defer your studies. Please contact USQ International before leaving your country to confirm your offer will still be valid upon arrival.
2. Book your accommodation
It is important to arrange your accommodation before arriving in Australia. You can choose between our on-campus residential colleges or private, off-campus accommodation.
3. Register for free transport from the airport to USQ
Are you an international student getting ready to start your first semester on-campus? To make your arrival into Queensland, Australia easy and stress-free, we provide free airport transport from Brisbane International/Domestic Airport or Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport to your accommodation.
Simply complete the online booking form at least 7 days before you arrive. Please include your flight itinerary and accommodation details so we can process your request without delay.
4. Living in Australia and studying at USQ
Study in Australia has some great information about living in Australia, including working, transport, banking, living costs and ensuring you are compliant with your visa.
USQ Support Network
We are here to help you settle into university life. Take advantage of the support services available so you can have the best study experience:
- Student Support - a range of services from career advice, counselling and health and medical services.
- Student Relationship Officers – from the moment you enrol you will have access to a Student Relationship Officer (SRO) to answer all of your questions.
- Multicultural Services- provides a range of services such as spiritual guidance and bridging personal faith with academic development. USQ embraces multiculturalism and is proud of the diversity its students and employees represents.
- Ask USQ - as a student at USQ, you can also find answers and ask a question at Ask USQ 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
5. Get familiar with your orientation events
We aim to make your study journey easy and stress-free. The pre-arrival fact sheet (PDF 195KB) contains relevant information that may assist you settle into life at USQ and in Australia.
Topics covered include USQ location information and available student support, as well as details on renting accommodation in Australia, schooling, childcare, costs of living and Australian medical services.
Orientation is a great way to start your study journey at USQ. You can find out all the information to successfully navigate your way through your first few weeks and settle in to your studies. It is also a great opportunity to meet lots of new people and have some fun.
Check out the Online Orientation where you will find important information for the start of your study journey, including:
- an introduction to university facilities
- advice on what support services are available to you
- hints and tips on how to succeed at your studies
- live chat where you can share your Orientation experience or just chat with other USQ students.