Skip to main content

Health insurance

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance for international students that provides cover for the costs associated with:

  • in hospital medical treatment
  • out of hospital medical treatment
  • pharmaceuticals
  • emergency ambulance assistance and transport.

The Department of Home Affairs requires all holders of a student visa must have OSHC for the entire length of their student visa. If you are an international student, and do not maintain your OSHC, you are at risk of having your student visa cancelled.

Do I need OSHC?

You need OSHC if you are an international student who:

  • holds a student visa
  • is applying for a student visa with intentions of study in Australia for a period of 3 months or more.

You do not need OSHC if you are a:

  • Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • Swedish student covered by the Kammarkollegiet Student insurance for education abroad
  • Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.